This year we decided to actually dress up for Halloween, last year I wasn't feeling too great and was a bum and stayed home. I was inspired by Maija's favorite movie "Kung Fu Panda" and thought it would be fun to dress Maija up like a little Po! Might I just say, she loves her costume, she loves to wear it and attacks her teddy bear MiMi, when I put the costume on her (the teddy bear), jealousy I guess. I used a couple of 2 year old sweaters and turtle necks to make the body of the costume (the legs part is actually sleeves) and then sewed white material together to make her hoody and white tummy and white back; and topped it all off with little black ears and a tail.
She already had brown pants so I just haphazardly sewed patches on them. Which brings me to a crazy tangent from the main topic... After watching Kung Fu Panda a billion times I noticed that there is something really wrong with Po's dad. Po's father is obviously obsessed with his noodles, but the abuse goes even deeper. His soup is obviously famous and so the dad must be making a lot of money (the opening scene with the noodle shop, lots of animals are eating there that early in the morning) and yet Po's clothes (pants) are made up of patches, and he only has pants while his dad has a very nice non patched shirt. Po has a poor sense of hygiene as Shifu mentions a few times so his father is negligent, and the little noodle shop is too small for Po, and he lives in the attic, like Harry Potter living under the stairs. Doesn't that make you feel that maybe Po's father is a terrible father, very neglectful, refuses to impart knowledge (hygiene and the secret ingredient of the noodle soup), and not to mention they are a different species which makes me think that maybe a little bit of a "Lion King" Timon, Pumba and Simba relationship comes in to play where the dad wants to have an intimidating creature work for him and keep other animals from messing with him. Okay, enough said on that back to the main story here....
Maija was adorable and everyone thought she was the cutest panda there ever was and you will agree I am sure. Halloween didn't last long for us as we took only like 25 minutes at the ward Tunk or Treat party before people packed up their trunks and left....we spent about ten times that in making our costumes.
Poor Ryan took the whole day focusing all of his time making his Oogwe shell. His work was quite impressive. And people thought I was Mulan instead of Master Tigress... I didn't have my ears or tail so it was understandable. At least I'll be able to use these things again for Maija's birthday party in January as I am planning a Kung Fu birthday. That's about all for now, till next time! 
Poor Ryan took the whole day focusing all of his time making his Oogwe shell. His work was quite impressive. And people thought I was Mulan instead of Master Tigress... I didn't have my ears or tail so it was understandable. At least I'll be able to use these things again for Maija's birthday party in January as I am planning a Kung Fu birthday. That's about all for now, till next time! 
Maija and Mommy playing, she tackled me first so up into the air she goes!

Mommy showing off her Kung Fu stance, while balancing baby Po on top her shoulders.

Baby Po and Master Oogwe making a face while trying to imitate a turtle.
Okay, first of all, I love that you just delved into this deep analysis of the motives and personalities of the characters in the movie. Maybe you should go into animation.... ;) I'll think deeper the next time I watch the movie.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I LOVE the costumes! You already know I love love love Maija's costume. She's ridiculously adorable (like always, but seriously--the costume makes her even more irresistible)! I'm glad your cute little family got to dress up this year. Well worth it. :]
Your guys looked SO cute. I LOVE Ryan's costume - you did such a good job! Of course, Maija is absolutely adorable :) You'll have to keep the costumes and use them again. I remember feeling like we didn't get much use out of our Incredibles costumes when we did it 3 years ago, so, we used them again this year :)
ReplyDelete